I never really knew what to call my generation – the one that had Hilary Duff, The Parent Trap-era Lindsay Lohan and Mia Thermopolis to look up to. The fashion was questionable, but the soundtracks were great. I can put any of these on and not only know every word, but know the sequence in which the songs can play. It’s quirks like that that may die off with my generation, but I’m holding onto them as long as I can.
1. The Lizzie McGuire Movie – We’ve got HilDuf originals, Atomic Kitten, and Vitamin C, some classic girl-power hits of my middle school years.
2. The Princess Diaries – This one was on repeat in my Hello Kitty boom box. BBMak, Mandy Moore, and of course the hit “Miracles Happen.”
3. Legally Blonde – My first PG-13 movie came with a delightfully millennial soundtrack.
4. 13 Going on 30 – An ironic mix of Liz Phair, Billy Joel, and Lillix.
5. What A Girl Wants – Girl power songs mixed with Oliver James and Duncan Sheik. Just too good.