In honor of my biggest icon’s 85th birthday, here is a collection of 5 of my favorite Audrey Hepburn moments:
The holidays are right around the corner, meaning my inevitable gift giving list. I typically like to get my group of friends the same thing – or a variation of the same thing – in order to keep the budget for each person the same. Then, I’ll personalize their gift with a card to give it a more friendly touch. Here are some great ideas for homemade gifts that are perfect for a group of friends.
1. Beauty Kit – Grab a collection of nail polishes or creams and distribute them into cellophane bags. Print out a template from one of many online sources, and attach it to the bag for a personal touch.
2. Personalized Candles – Buy simple white candles from your favorite craft store, along with a stamp with your favorite quote, book passage, etc. This simple but personal gift is easy to make and won’t break the bank.
3. Mason Jar Snow Globe – For the decor lover, put together a few snow globes to hang out to your friends. Keep it classic with trees or personalize them with mini landmarks. (How cute would an Eiffel Tower snow globe be?!)
4. Cocoa Mix – This classic will be welcomed with open arms by all of your friends. Make it a bit more special with Kahlua or Bailey’s tied to the side.
5. Cork Trees – Are you and your friends constantly catching up over a glass of wine? Collect corks from your favorite bottles and make these simple holiday decorations. The personal momento can build with time, making it a yearlong decoration.
With all of the flying, adjusting to a new environment, and stress from school, it’s easy for me to let my skin become less of a priority. A few days later, I always wish I had taken that extra minute or two to wash my face. One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to really take care of my skin. That means using less cakey makeup and allowing for more natural powders to cover up any imperfections. It also means washing my face regularly and indulging in a facial every once in a while. After years of trial and error, I’ve fallen into a routine that I love.
First things first, I’m absolutely head-over-heels in LOVE with my Clarisonic. I got it last Christmas in my stocking, but didn’t incorporate it as a part of my routine until recently. I use it in the shower (it’s waterproof!) with a natural face wash I have (make sure this face wash is gentle with no beads). The device takes everything off your face and leaves it feeling smooth with no dead skin.
I love using mineral powders on my face. Not only do they cover anything up, your face feels like it can breathe again. Doing musical theater in high school, I have awful memories of liquid concealer. This powder gives you a fresh, bare feeling. I started using another darker powder on my t-zone and cheeks after watching this. I had a Clinique compact that was too dark for me (I bought it one very tan summer). Since then, I love using it to highlight my features instead of having a one-dimensional color.
I like to do simple eyes with just a bit of eyeliner on my lower inner lid and upper lid, winging out just slightly at the end of my eye. Depending on my day, I may also do a stroke of natural eye shadow (darker around the outside corner of my eye and lighter up to my brow bone). Finishing off with mascara gives me a wide-eyed doe look.
Burt’s Bees is one of my favorite things of all time. It moisturizes and can add the perfect hint of color. I love the one with pomegranate oil, but they’re all amazing and leave you with the tingly feeling reminding you that it’s not only for beauty but for healing, too.
To take it all off at the end of the day, I use Neutrogena makeup removing wipes and Estee Lauder Gentle Eye Makeup Remover on my eyes. With a quick wash of my face and some moisturizer, I go to sleep, knowing my face is healthy and clear.
I hope you like some of my tips, and be sure to click on the collage to go to Polyvore and look at each item individually!