After a long, stressful last few weeks of school, I’ve made it home to NYC in one piece. I had 3 bags – each packed to the brim – and a great year of memories, new friends and experiences to accompany me. For one of the first times of my life – excluding my days in Paris – I was more sad than excited to come home. This year was my best so far at school, and I wasn’t ready for it to end. I still don’t really feel like it’s over. For that reason, I’ve decided to occupy my mind in other ways.
After walking around my neighborhood and Central Park with my dad for a total of 4 hours, I realized how many New York moments I haven’t really experienced. So after compiling a list in my planner, I’ve decided to share the top 5 things on my New York to-do list for this summer.
1) Go to Coney Island. Not only do I want to visit the famous amusement park, I need to try to the original Nathan’s hot dog. For those of you who’ve seen Uptown Girls, you know the reaction I get when people have heard I’ve never been to either.
2) Go to a Yankee game. Ok – so this I’ve done, but only twice and I’ve never gone with friends. Once I turn 21 in late-July, I’m looking forward to getting some $20 seats up in the nosebleeds and enjoy a game with some friends. This is how I’m imagining it:
3) Go to NY’s free concerts. I’ve never been to one of the free concerts in Central Park, and after some research, I’m excited to see Ingrid Michaelson with Summer Stage and the New York Philharmonic’s concert featuring music from my favorite classical composer, Tchaikovsky, and Strauss.
4) Eat the city’s best chicken parm. After reading this article, I’ve been wanting to try Parm and have just never had the chance. It’s the perfect opportunity for me to bond with my brother and dad, as they will be the experienced judges to see if this chicken parm sandwich is truly the best.
5) Go to the HBO Bryant Park Summer Film Festival. Free movies in Byrant Park? You can ask how I’ve never done this before; I simply don’t have an answer. May or may not be most excited to see Blazing Saddles.